The Windsor Historical Society, founded in 1921, preserves and interprets nearly 400 years of Windsor’s history through exhibitions, education programs, publications, active collecting, and research, providing our community with a connection to the past, a sense of belonging in the present, and responsibility for the future .


Permanent and changing exhibitions in our museum building and a collection of over 11,000 objects ranging from furniture and decorative arts to tools, arrowheads, and textiles.

Historic Houses
Strong-Howard House built 1758
Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House built 1767

Hands-on-History Learning Center

Research library and manuscript collection housing over 10,000 items including historic Windsor photographs, documents, ephemera, and genealogical materials.

Meeting room rental - Get details


Museum Gift Shop and Book Store



The Windsor Historical Society is a private, nonprofit organization supported by our members, our endowment, with grant and foundation funding. We have four staff members and a Board of Directors elected each September by our membership. Many dedicated volunteers help maintain our large complex, staff our front desk, give tours, assist in our library, conduct school tours, and deliver off-site classroom programs. We publish a quarterly newsletter and offer public programs at least once a month. Our membership stands at approximately 1,200 individuals.

Windsor Historical Society    ♦    96 Palisado Avenue    ♦    Windsor, CT 06095    ♦    860-688-3813    ♦



Copyright 2010 by Windsor Historical Society of Windsor, Connecticut, Inc.